To keep leafy greens fresh, wrap a newspaper around before storing in the fridge.
* Before purchasing spinach, see that the leaves are not discolored, damaged or spotted.
* Choose leaves which are dark green and crisp.
* Add some salt to the water while cleaning leafy veggies. The sand will sink and settle at the bottom.
* Do not over cook leafy veggies. they may loose their color.
* Never add a pinch of baking soda to vegetables. It will preserve the green color but it destroys vitamins and makes vegetables mushy.
* The best way to ensure the best flavor, color, texture and food value is to cook vegetables only until they are tender.
* The less water you use in cooking, and the shorter the cooking time, the more nutrients will stay in the vegetables.
* Don't add lemon juice or vinegar, to leafy vegetables.
* If you serve green vegetables often, you can cut calories and, at the same time, improve the nutritional quality of your meals.
Cutting on a marble slab will blunt your knives, use a wooden chopping board.
* Boards must be cleaned properly. For wood, scrub after every use with hot, soapy water, rinse, dry and stand it on end in a dish rack to air completely.
* To keep a wooden board in good shape, oil it every month or so with vegetable oil.
Add some rice grains in the salt shaker, which helps to keep the salt from becoming lumpy in moist climate.
by Mrs Uma ramana
You can also be a member of this site by sending your recipes, house- hold tips interesting issues to firstname.lastname@example.org